San Jose, 10:12am St. Louis, 11:12am Charlotte, 12:12pm
I am finally on my flight from Charlotte, North Carolina to San Jose, Costa Rica. I started the day at 5am in St. Louis and spent my 1st flight chatting with Bob, the weathered old man spilling over the seat next to me. 4 hours until I have to embarrass myself with the Spanish that wasn’t adequate when I practiced in class over a year ago-my last hope: reading the Spanish version of Harry Potter that I have been picking over all summer.
domingo 6 de septiembre de 2009
San Jose, 7:13pm
I arrived at my host family’s house yesterday and met my host Mom Elizabeth, my host sister Montserrat (Montse), and Montse’s boyfriend (but I can’t remember his name). There were all very welcoming and excited to meet me. Elizabeth has been hosting students through ICADS for the 20 years and love the students that have all become a part of her family. She told me she wants to write a book about all of her experiences hosting international students, of the stories they share with her and the stories she shares with them. Elizabeth lent me Colones for the weekend since I won’t be converting my US dollars until tomorrow. Montse brought me to both Internet cafés that are within blocks of the house. I wrote my mom so she would stop worrying for my life. We had spaghetti for dinner and went next door to Elizabeth’s brother’s house. A young man from Ecuador was there and her played his guitar and sang for us. Later we went home to watch the soccer game between Costa Rica and Mexico (Costa Rica lost 3-0). Today we had fresh fruit, bread, eggs, ham, and coffee for breakfast.
How beautiful and very exiting!
ReplyDelete